Lot of revelations happened last year, especially in the last quarter, when I left home for the first time to firang land. Here are a few of them.
– A ‘please’ or ‘sorry’ or ‘thank you’ will only get your work done in England. Never said so many sorry, thank u please ever in my life.
– Even an Englishkaran (Englishman) has problems in understanding my English, which I thought had a neutral accent.
– It is the policy of National Health Services to ask you if u r pregnant on routine check up. It is not that they suspect/ accuse you of being pregnant.
– Don’t get shell-shocked if prophylactic is provided in the ‘student induction pack’.
– I still manage to get ‘looks’ from old 50-65 yr old Englishmen. Wonder y they keep thinking that I am interested in them!!!
– Rajma bursts when heated in a microwave and dal needs to be soaked before it is cooked.
– You have to attend to the milk kept on the hob. The hob doesn’t switch off on its own.
– I look like a Bangladeshi and Dad looks European Chinese (according to my Polish hallmate). And I thought we looked INDIAN!!
– Gatwick Airport resembles Bhatinda railway station as the Europeans also convert their bags into pillows and lie on the couches in the waiting area, thereby not letting others sit.
– Our ‘Cuticura’ is an international brand. Saw it lying in a dutyfree shop.
– When they have no reservations on a train, the Europeans like Indians will sit outside the loos and in some cases even inside.
– Inter City Express (ICE) touches 300km/hr only from Cologne to Frankfurt. (We should have gone further!)
– KÖLN is Cologne (this was my biggest revelation)
– Read about a place the next time I head somewhere. I have to go to Cologne once again to appreciate the Cathedral.
– Eau de Cologne is different from the water flowing in River Rhine through Cologne.
– Fallen snow resembles ice found in a refrigerator without defrost.
– The dumb actresses of the Indian film industry deserve some amount of respect. Its not easy standing on snow with a backless blouse and chiffon saree.
– I should just stick to juice as just one glass ends up making me dance much to the embarrassment of my company. (Disclaimer: I am not a drunkard, I dont go beyond a drink except that one dreaded time)
– Chech and I still look ‘under 18’ [according to German standards] as we were the only ones asked to show our passport for entry. (Man did I feel good!)
– Mum is still not concerned about my advancing age, Dad is still concerned about y he is not receiving any ‘pocket money’ demands from me.
– Ammachi thinks I am a little girl, she still calls me Minukutty (aargh!)
– Never rant about any blog in particular to Chettan to an extent which irritates him. He ended up attacking an unsuspecting fellow blogger, followed by attacks from Chech and yours truly. (Disclaimer: We r a heady mix, but we aren’t as crazy as we appear)
– Chettan is the brother I always wanted (Thank u Chech for the kidilum choice, Chetta- my Euro trip ;~D)
– Chech has become a very good cook, and I have gotten over the paranoia that she is trying to poison me.
– College is the best time of your life and u realise this only when u finish college and land up in an office staring at the computer and trying to sound pleasant and more importantly ‘knowledgeable’ to your clients.
– Office is the best time of your life and you realise this when u land up in college after a 4 month stint in an office and start hating homework and taking down notes in class. Suddenly ‘end of the month’ lost its significance and excitement.
– May be middle of this year when I am out of grad school I will appreciate it more.
– A stricter boss is a better boss. (BFD u r still my best mentor till date)
– There is no place like mum’s kitchen. Never looked forward to idiappam and puttu as I do now (Mum are u listening??)
– There is no better place to study than a room where u can overhear Mum humming. Over the past three months I ‘hear’ silence more often than sound. And there is no better luxury in knowing that ‘Dad will take care of everything’.
– I can never find a replacement for my best friend Vidhi. May our friendship continue forever and ever. Amen